Friday, February 1, 2013

Appalachian Trials Motivation Lists

I very recently read Appalachian Trials by Zach Davis, a 2011 thru-hiker.  First of all, if you are even thinking about doing a thru-hike at some point in your life, go ahead and get this book, it more than worth it.

Note: Over 70% of the people who set out to hike the AT, do NOT complete it.

Zach pretty much implored me, the reader, to create a list of motivations that I can look back on to constantly reinforce my pre-hike ideals when times get tough out on the trail.  Sorry, Zach, but I did not do it while you were singing Ace of Base.  I waited until now.

I could just keep them personal, but I've been asked told to publish/share them to be held more accountable.  The whole point of this is to never give up.  Never get so bummed out that I just decide it's to tough and throw in the towel.  Now, I'm already 100% positive that I WILL NOT QUIT.  However, I'm not on the trail yet.  So, why not increase my chances for success by strengthening my resolve?

Here it is:

Jeremy's Appalachian Trials Motivations List



I am hiking the Appalachian Trail because...
- It's the fantasy adventure I've always dreamed of.
- My mountain man skills (or appearance of skills) will grow leaps and bounds.
- I will spend awesome, uninterrupted time with my super cool wife.
- I love seeing where the path leads, and this one is pretty long.
- I love being outdoors, but I'm always stuck inside. Quite the opposite on the AT.
- I will met the most interesting people probably in my entire life.
- I will see, do, and experience things that will live in my memories forever.
- I get to really live life, and not wait for life to live me.
- I've never been to Maine, it's the coolest way to get to Maine.
   (also, many other North Eastern states)
- Also, because, come on... it's just badass.

When I successfully thru-hike the Appalachian Trail, I will...
- Have enormous pride in myself for such a great accomplishment.
- Be more the person I want to be.
- Be even closer to my wife.
- Have unshakable confidence in tackling very difficult, enduring tasks.
- Have powerful memories that will be great stories to tell and relive.
- Have the coolest photos to decorate our place with.
- Have enough film, photos, and audio recordings to make a documentary.
- Have new lifelong friends.
- Want to do more great adventures.
- Be a mountain man.

If I give up on the Appalachian Trail, I will...
- Tear apart the bonds I've made with myself and my wife.
- Be inconceivably disappointed in myself.
- Wonder if I'll ever be able to complete a long, difficult task.
- Not be the person I want to be.
- Let down all of our family, friends, and followers who have invested so much hope and love in us.
- Lose respect for myself.
- Lose my pizzazz for life.
- Have failed.


- Jeremy

3 comments:

  1. I really like everything except when it comes to what will happen :if" you have to leave the trail. Man that is a pretty severe punishment you are handing yourself. "Tear apart bonds.. lose respect..be a failure.and why would you be letting down family and friends? .WOW I don't know about all that stuff. I think you are putting wayyyyy too much weight on your shoulders. I have told family and friends that I am going on the AT. I told them I hadn't hiked in 20 yrs and have no idea how far I will go or how long I will be gone but I intend to do my best and enjoy each day. "If" you try then you have not failed.. if people judge you for not going as far as you wished.. then they don't deserve to be called your friends.... if coming home early will shatter bonds with you and your wife then maybe you need to look into that... I think you are setting yourself up man.. there is no way I would attempt anything with all the pressure you are putting on yourself...it's ain't nothing but a walk in the woods and it very well may not do all you think it's going to do. Once you start walking most all of your preconceptions will change.. be easy on yourself brother. Most people don't even think of "trying" something as this and you are. You are already a winner in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your honest input. Sorry about all of the miscommunications on facebook. It can be a real pain. If we meet up on the trail, I'll buy ya a burger.

      Happy Hiking!

      Delete
  2. I read Appalachian Trials in April 2012, just a few days before leaving on my thruhike. I had already done some of the things, like telling everybody I know, starting a blog, adding a fundraiser to my hike. Zach's book helped me really get focused on WHY I was going and I carried my lists with me the whole way. They got water stained and crumpled and I can hardly read them, but I carried them and I read them. Honestly, I didn't need them very often, and I never wanted to quit, but when I needed some motivation, when I was dragging or feeling bad they were exactly what I needed to regain my focus. I'm glad you read the book and made your lists. You can always add to them as you go...

    I look forward to following your hike! I'm currently moving my trail blog over to blogspot and reliving my hike as I go. Having a daily journal to refer back to, along with all the pictures (take lots of people pictures), is priceless.

    Happy hiking!
    Carey
    http://carryonadventures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete